vrijdag 28 maart 2008

The Land of Dreams - William Blake


Awake, awake, my little boy!
Thou waste thy mother's only joy;
Why dost thou weep in thy gentle sleep?
Awake! thy father does thee keep.


`O, what land is the Land of Dreams?
What are its mountains, and what are its streams?
O father! I saw my mother there,
Among the lilies by waters fair.`


Among the lambs, clothed in white,
She walked with her Thomas in sweet delight.
I wept for joy, like a dove I mourn;
O! when shall I again return?'


Dear child, I also by pleasant streams
Have wandered all night in the Land of Dreams;
But though calm and warm the waters wide,
I could not get to the other side.


`Father, O father! what do we here
In this land of unbelief and fear?
The Land of Dreams is better far,
Above the light of the morning star.'


Geen opmerkingen: